Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pixar

     The other day I was on Facebook and was super excited. I saw a post that had the picture of the ocean, and in the ocean were the letters F-I-N-D-I-N-G- -D-O-R-Y. Pixar is making a sequel to the hit Finding Nemo, and I for one am ecstatic. Pixar has done a very interesting thing recently. They have been marketing their movies in a way that it applies to at least two demographics. Typically, their movies only apply to the younger generations, but they have been making sequels to where the people who saw the original will see them as well as the younger generations. For example, the first film to do this was Toy Story, the first came out when I was a child, and the third came out about the time I was going to college, and in the third Andy (owner of the toys) was going to college as well. Then Monster's Inc. was released after Toy Story, and this summer they are coming out with Monster's University, which is when the Monster's are in college, again so the college age students can relate. This way, it appeals to just about all people; college students can reconnect to their childhood, children can see it, and adults have to take their kids there. All and all it is a genius plan. Not to mention Pixar announced Finding Dory almost three years in advance, so they take plenty of time to make sure their movies are the best they can possibly be, and in my opinion they do not disappoint. 
     On an unrelated note, I got April fooled the other day. I saw an article on April first saying that Robert Downey Jr. would not be playing Iron Man in The Avengers II. This ruined my day, but luckily , I saw today that it was a a joke. 

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great strategy, I don't know about y'all but I teared up a little but when watching Toy Story 3. As for announcing the movie 3 years early, it easily takes more than 3 years to make an animated movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This strategy of having characters age and evolve along with the initial audience is an interesting one. The only other example I can think of is The Simpson, which started out as a show directed at least in part at younger children. As this generation aged, the show started to acquire some of its wit and cynicism. Southpark went on a similar trajectory, but it has been able to keep up a more consistent quality than The Simpsons. I wonder what the rationale for this strategy is--is it a sort of "brand loyalty" approach?

    ReplyDelete